The watchOS 6 SDK provides support for developing watchOS apps for Apple Watch devices running watchOS 6. The SDK comes bundled with Xcode 11 beta available from Beta Software Downloads.
New Features in WatchOS 6 Beta 2
- URLSessionWebSocketTask and URLSessionStreamTask are now available for use in watchOS apps.
- The URLSession and NSURLConnection APIs no longer support SPDY. Servers should use HTTP 2 or HTTP 1.1.
- To send a UserNotifications push to a watchOS device, a new apns-push-type key is now required as part of the APNs request header. Depending on the type of notification, this key can be set to alert or background and is supported across all Apple platforms.
Issue Fixes in WatchOS 6 Beta 2
- It’s no longer an issue to pair Apple Watch with the iPhone when the language and region are mismatched.
- Don't need to connect the iPhone to the internet using Wi-Fi before pairing Apple Watch.
- Voiceover in Walkie-Talkie identifies contact names and the state of their invitation.
- Apps installed using TestFlight launch as expected.
- Can download apps from the App Store on Apple Watch using your watch cellular plan.
- Double-pressing the side button to install App Store apps works properly for watches set to any region.
- Calendar events on Apple Watch no longer fall out of sync with the iPhone.
- Complications appear correctly in the Apple Watch Face Gallery on the iPhone.
- Downtime settings sync to Apple Watch.
- Cellular settings no longer appear on devices that aren’t cellular-capable.
- Terms & Conditions appear properly when installing a software update using Settings on Apple Watch.
- The privacy setting for Headphone Audio Levels displays as inactive after it’s switched off.
- The Back button appears properly after beginning the pairing process.
- Privacy settings reflect accurately on Apple Watch.
- Multipart Siri requests are recognized.
- The possible values that you can select from a Picker can now be accessed from UI automation.
- Long look notifications display background images.
- Building and running a WatchKit app no longer produces logging errors about adding "remote-notification" to UIBackgroundModes.
- Workout Do Not Disturb is now available.
- The watchOS Settings app launches properly in Simulator.
Known Issues in WatchOS 6 Beta 2
- When playing audio in Music, Podcasts, or Books on iPhone, the counterpart watchOS app might not launch as expected to the Now Playing view.
- Before reinstalling built-in apps that you removed from your iPhone, enable Automatic App Install in the Apple Watch app to get the counterpart watchOS app back.
- The close button in a modally presented interface might be positioned partially offscreen. (51679414)
- Apps might be unable to send data over WatchConnectivity.
- Under certain conditions, apps might download twice.
- You might be unable to download certain apps from App Store on Apple Watch.
- Firmly pressing a button in Calculator might cause buttons to become stuck.
- You might be unable to create a timer from a Siri watch face suggestion.
- Certain languages might exhibit clipped or misaligned layout.
- Certain languages might display text that isn’t localized.
- Temporary, “Allow Once” location authorization isn’t currently supported.
- You might be unable to navigate from an origin location that’s different than your current location when a watch running watchOS 6 beta is paired to your iPhone.
- Asking Siri to play a podcast on Apple Watch might result in an error message.
- Adjusting privacy settings for third-party apps on Apple Watch might not work. Use Settings > Privacy on your iPhone instead.
- Sharing a Wi-Fi network password from a device to your watch might cause the Settings app to become unresponsive.
- Dictation might remain enabled after disabling it in Settings.
- The Wake Screen on Crown Up setting might not be available.
- Settings might quit unexpectedly when toggling the Auto-launch Audio Apps setting.
- iCloud support is currently unavailable for Voice Memos.